Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sixth Week Post Surgery-Jesus Sighting

As many of my friends and family know and from what I have posted on the blog, cycling is an important part of my life. From the obvious, a good way to stay in shape to the less obvious, a great way to escape from life's problems.  As I usually ride with my group at the local bike club because I can't keep up  I have been riding solo. During a solo two hour ride the mind enters places that in normal circumstances wouldn't be visited. It is an excellent opportunity, like running, to get to know oneself.  The chemicals produced in the brain,endolphins,(every time I see that word I can't help but think of those rather large but cute fish jumping out of the water at Sea World) during a long intense aerobic workout cause thoughts to become dream like and somewhat spiritual. Very nice and addicting in nature.

As I have been increasing my mileage every week,because of the surgery and the inability to put a lot of pressure on the pedals I have been avoiding what I consider real hills. On Saturday I decided to take a loop out to Syosset to try Stillwell Hill, a good choice because while fairly long isn't especially steep except in a short section or two. Approaching the bottom I didn't know what to expect. I started pedaling up and to my surprise was easier than I expected. The first part is fairly flat and about a 1/3rd of the way up there is a steep section. I made it through the section with an euphoric feeling filling my body. It was wonderful.

At about the half way mark to my shock and utter surprise an image of Jesus appeared. He (sorry girls Jesus is a man) was real and in person. Now I am Jewish and not at all religious so seeing Jesus came as a total shock. Now I know what everyone is thinking. But I swear to.......let me put it another way. I saw him and with total belief knew it was him. If I am lying, the next time I am in an open field or at the top of a hill let lightning strike my shiny new metallic hip with a vengeance. We nodded to each other, he told me I am doing great and quickly disappeared. I finished the hill with a new found determination and continued back to my house completing 38 miles. My best and most interesting ride so far. Stats for the ride. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16458570

I consider myself to be doing fairly well for six weeks post surgery. I can go up and down a flight of stairs without holding on. I have been walking without any aid for over two weeks and I just completed my 5th session of physical therapy. The scar is healing nicely without very little itching or peeling. The pain is gone except when I sit for a long time or sleep in an awkward position. I can sleep on the surgical side now for about an hour. The only physical outward sign to anyone who didn't know is a slight limp, mostly due to the surgical leg being about 1/2" longer. However as the therapist suggested may happen over time the legs are now slightly more even.  Looking forward I am feeling good about my progress.

P.S. I just want to add that while I am successfully re-gaining my cycling ability I miss riding with the members of the club. There is something nice about sharing riding and conversation with other people. As luck would have it,  Jesus Hernandez a member of my club caught up with me on one of the hills in Syosset. While it was a brief meeting and conversation it was great to see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment